Monday, March 31, 2008

Dith Pran

We almost never take a break from the Jackson-action, as we know that our wide readership demands 24/7 Jackson news.

So bear with me here...Dith Pran was a Cambodian photojournalist made famous for inspiring the movie The Killing Fields about the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia in the late 70's. Taking huge personal risk, he played a critical role in communicating to the outside world the atrocities taking place in Cambodia. Missy and I visited Cambodia in 2004 and the trip greatly affected both of us. The country is still slowly recovering from the death of an estimated 2 million people during that time. Dith Pran died today at 65 (Click here for the NY Times obituary). The movie is also worth renting if you've never seen it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Cas...the human spirit is an amazing thing, I'm in awe. When the movie came out I didn't think I could handle it, now it's time to see it. xoxoMom