Thursday, November 6, 2008

Dumb Mom Moment

Jackson and I just got back from the park, where we were meeting our new playgroup for the first time. Jackson was playing on slide (climbing up from the bottom, of course) and since he was the only kid who could walk, the other moms and I were just standing by the slide, getting to know each other.

After today, I am faced with a new reality: Jackson is a boy. While we were chatting, Jackson managed to climb all the way to the top of the slide. Keep in mind that it's about 7 feet from the ground at the top, and I am 5'4" (with shoes). Upon realizing what was going on, I grabbed what I could reach of Jackson's sweatshirt, which resulted in him having a nervous breakdown because all he wanted to do was make it to the top. One of the other moms climbed up the other side, while also holding carrying her 11-month old daughter, and was able to meet him just as he reached the summit. At this point, he was just mad, and probably scared because of the way we were all reacting.

GREAT first impression.

6 comments:

Mama Cools said...

Great story! I can picture the whole thing.

It's so tough when you have the only "walker" in the group. I had a similar play date group this week and didn't get to chat much while at the playground b/c Ryan was EVERYWHERE! I panicked at one point b/c I thought I lost him...note to self: making friends is NOT worth losing your child.

Missy said...

TOTALLY agree! I finally just gave up on trying to be friendly and just followed him around the playground- until the slide, incident. I am still mortified.

Anonymous said...

Every time I read this a huge grin emerges...what a kid! xoxo grannylin

Natalie said...

did I ever tell you about the time I lost a certain 2 yr old at a certain fast food restaurant with golden arches?

Missy said...

No! when did this happen?

Laurie said...

That;s nothing--- Madelaine pushed Olivia in the pool at the Rec Center last week-- with all her clothes on!!! We were all in the gym watching Hannah's bball game-- Liv came in dripping wet- and Madelaine was sitting out in the hall sobbing----Everyone in the gym was REALLLLLY impressed!